GPX TO EXPAND ITS MARKET-LEADING CAIRO 2 DATA CENTER ADDING 12 MW OF POWER AND 1800 RACKS
New York, U.S.A. | Cairo, Egypt – May 1, 2023- GPX Global Systems Inc., the premier provider of carrier-neutral data center services in Africa in collaboration with Redcon Group today announced a new investment in Cairo, Egypt of EGP 2.7 billion to expand its Cairo 2 data center. The expansion will add an additional 12MW of power and 9,000 M2 of space bringing GPX’s total equipped space in the Cairo market to 12,600 M2.
GPX has established itself as the leading high-availability, carrier-neutral data center provider in Egypt and is recognized for its outstanding customer service and its 99.999% uptime guarantee. GPX provides colocation to the largest enterprise customers in Egypt and the region.
The GPX Cairo 2 expansion will be a Rated-4 certified purpose-built facility with 12MW of power and support for high power density applications and 52U cabinets, along with rich interconnectivity. Phase one of the expansion will be customer ready early the first quarter of 2025.
H.E. Dr. Amr Talaat commented: “The data center industry is a major building block in our Digital Egypt Strategy. The Ministry of Communications and Information Technology (MCIT) is adamant to create an attractive environment for investments in the data center industry. Egypt’s geographical location, coupled with its extensive global submarine cable partnerships, and resilient local infrastructure are all conducive to its prominence in this industry, and we’re working to further build upon these advantages.”
Nick Tanzi, President & CEO, GPX Global Systems Inc., commented: “GPX is expanding its critical role in supporting the digital transformation of Egypt and its Digital Egypt Strategy. Our company has been operating in Egypt for over 15 years and this new investment supports our strong belief that Egypt is an essential hub for global internet infrastructure and a vibrant growth market”.
Tarek El Gamal, Chairman of Redcon Group, commented: “Our involvement in the construction of the GPX Data Center in 2013 has been a significant testimony of our commitment to contributing towards the advancement of the technological sector. We understand the critical role Data Centers play in today’s interconnected world and we are dedicated to foster innovation and provide construction solutions that meet the ever-evolving demands of the industry”.
GPX builds and operates next-generation Tier 4, private, carrier-neutral data centers in emerging commercial markets. The company offers highly reliable and secure carrier-neutral data centers to domestic and international clients looking to colocate their mission-critical business infrastructure. GPX has been recognized as the premier provider of carrier-neutral colocation facilities within African markets.
More on GPX here: https://www.gpxglobal.net/
About Redcon Group:
REDCON Construction is considered one of the top EPC contractors among the top 5 Egyptian companies operating in Egypt. REDCON has been serving the domestic and international markets for 30 years and is currently expanding in the region with its new Saudi office. We have a group of nine companies working in the fields of Construction, Real Estate Development, and construction nurturing industries such as Pre-Cast, Aluminium, GRC, Metalworks, etc.
More on REDCON here: www.redcon.group
GPX GLOBAL SYSTEMS INC. MEDIA CONTACT: Michael J. Morrisroe, Director Ireland, +353 879799136, [email protected]
REDWOOD CITY, CALIF., Sept. 1, 2021 /PRNewswire/ — Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the world’s digital infrastructure company™, announced today that it has extended Platform Equinix into the strategic Indian market, following the completion of the acquisition of the INDIA operations of GPX Global Systems, Inc. (“GPX India”). The US$161 million all-cash transaction includes a fiber-connected campus in MUMBAI with two data centers.
Equinix’s expansion into India will unlock opportunities for Indian businesses expanding internationally and for multinational corporations pursuing growth and innovation in the Indian market. With the upcoming 5G rollout in the country, companies can get ahead in the digital era with Equinix and benefit from the ability to accelerate their evolution from traditional to digital businesses by rapidly digitizing and scaling their infrastructure, easily adopting hybrid multi-cloud architectures and interconnecting with more than 350 international brands and local companies in India.
Equinix India will be led by Managing Director Manoj Paul, a veteran with more than two decades of experience who will leverage his deep insights into the local data center industry to support the digital transformation journeys of businesses in India.
- From the acquisition, the two new International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data centers in Mumbai, dubbed Equinix MB1 and MB2, form a network-dense data center campus with more than 350 international brands and local companies, including the world’s leading cloud service providers (CSPs), global networks, content delivery network (CDN) providers, all local carriers, 170 internet service providers (ISPs) and five internet exchanges.
- Home to the digital infrastructure of numerous global organizations, the two data centers in Mumbai provides an initial 1,350 cabinets, with an additional 500 cabinets to build out. The facilities will add more than 90,000 square feet of colocation space to Platform Equinix® when fully built.
- Equinix’s Mumbai campus offers a cloud-dense environment and direct access to major cloud services, including AWS Direct Connect, Google Cloud Dedicated Interconnect, and Oracle Cloud Infrastructure FastConnect. It also hosts key internet exchanges such as AMS-IX India, Extreme IX, Mumbai IX-DE-CIX, National Internet Exchange of India (NIXI), and Bharat IX, allowing ISPs, carriers, CDNs, and large enterprises to exchange internet traffic.
- Equinix plans to introduce a full range of interconnection and digital infrastructure services, including Equinix Connect, Equinix Internet Exchange®, Metro Connect, Equinix FabricTM and Network Edge, in the new data centers upon the completion of the business integration. This will enable customers in India to connect in real-time, directly and privately, to more than 10,000 companies, including more than 1,800 networks and 3,000 cloud and IT service providers, through Platform Equinix for increased performance, security and scale.
- According to Frost & Sullivan, India is anticipated to become a US$2 trillion digital economy by 2030, growing at a 21% compound annual growth rate (CAGR). It also forecasts that 40% to 50% of Indian businesses will be taking a containerized hybrid multi-cloud approach for deploying applications by 2025.1 Digitalization and cloud adoption in India will be further accelerated by the upcoming rollout of 5G and ICT policy reforms of the government. The expansion of Platform Equinix will enable Indian businesses, as well as multinationals with a presence in India, to harness a trusted platform to bring together and interconnect the foundational infrastructure they need to power their success.
- Current customers at GPX India will now be able to access Platform Equinix capabilities worldwide. For example, OPPO, a leading global smart device brand, has deployed in MB2 and is leveraging Zenlayer’s IP transit and IP peering services to support its critical IT operations in India, including the OPPO App Market Store, local official website, and end-user data. Today’s announcement will further support OPPO’s omnichannel strategy in India and its global expansion ambitions as it can easily replicate its digital infrastructure with Equinix in India to anywhere via Equinix’s global platform.
- Over the years, Equinix has supported India-based partners, including HCL Technologies, Infosys, and Wipro, in deploying their customers’ digital infrastructure at Equinix IBX data centers outside of India.
- Appointed as Managing Director of Equinix India, Manoj Paul has over 25 years of extensive experience in IT and telecom infrastructure. Prior to Equinix, he led the India operation of GPX India, helping it to emerge as India’s most prominent carrier-neutral and cloud-dense data center. Before joining GPX India, Paul spent 11 years with Bharti Airtel Ltd, where his last role was Chief Operating Officer (Enterprises) for the Western region.
- Globally, Platform Equinix comprises more than 230 data centers across 65 metros and 27 countries, providing data center and interconnection services for more than 10,000 of the world’s leading businesses, including more than 50% of Fortune 500 companies. Today, Equinix operates 49 IBX data centers in Asia-Pacific across 13 metros in Australia, China, Hong Kong, India, Japan, Korea, and Singapore.
- In connection with this transaction, J.P. Morgan, Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas and Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu India LLP were advisors to Equinix, and KPMG and Kanga & Co were advisors to GPX.
New York, U.S.A. August 10th, 2020 – GPX Global Systems Inc., the premier provider of carrier-neutral Edge data center services in Africa and South Asia, today announced the sale of its Indian operations to Equinix, Inc. (NASDAQ: EQIX), the all-cash transaction value of US$161 million is expected to close in Q4 2020, subject to customary closing conditions including regulatory approval.
Equinix is acquiring GPX’s leading high-availability, carrier-neutral edge data center business in India, consisting of 2 Tier 4 data centers. GPX Mumbai1 is a 30,000 sq/ft data center, and the recently opened Mumbai2 datacenter will a 60,000 sq/ft facility when fully built. The two facilities are interconnected with GPX’s Data Center Interconnect network. GPX‘s datacenters host the largest internet ecosystem in India including 12 Telcos, 130+ ISPs, 4 Internet Exchanges, 8 Cloud Service Providers, plus all of the leading global CDNs and content providers (OTTs) creating an unrivaled internet and cloud ecosystem.
Nick Tanzi, President & CEO, GPX Global Systems, commented; “after 7 years of building our business in India I could not think of any company better suited than Equinix to expand the platform GPX has created in India and help our customers continue to grow. Equinix and GPX share common business philosophies including a commitment to carrier neutrality, a passion for delivering the highest quality customer service in the market, and fostering the growth and development of our employees. I’d like to thank our customers for providing GPX the privilege of serving them over the last seven years, and also thank our employees for always putting our customers first and doing whatever was necessary to meet our customer’s needs.”
“GPX Global Systems will now turn its attention to growing our business throughout Africa using our Egyptian business as the anchor for our expansion. We believe Africa represents a very similar opportunity that drove our investments in India, including rapidly increasing mobile usage, increased subsea fiber investments, and ever-increasing growth in content consumption and data usage. We look to offer customers within new markets we expand to the same unparalleled service and support which has made GPX the first choice for customers in both Egypt and India “
KPMG India acted as the exclusive financial advisor and provided end-to-end advisory support and Kanga & Company (www.kangacompany.com) acted as the exclusive legal advisor to GPX Global Systems, Inc. on this transaction.
GPX builds and operates next-generation Tier 4, private, carrier-neutral data centers. GPX has been recognized as the premier provider of carrier-neutral colocation facilities within African and South Asian markets. www.gpxglobal.net
Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX) connects the world’s leading businesses to their customers, employees, and partners inside the most-interconnected data centers. On this global platform for digital business, companies come together across more than 50 markets on five continents to reach everywhere, interconnect everyone, and integrate everything they need to create their digital futures. www.equinix.com
We are all struggling with the Coronavirus Pandemic and its effect on our lives, family, friends, and businesses. Although there are no indications of any infected individuals who have visited our datacenters, we have implemented the following policies which are designed to minimize the future risk to our customers, and our critical staff who are essential to the operations of our datacenters.
- Our first priority is to ensure the health and wellbeing of our employees, customers, and vendors. The following policies are in effect beginning March 15, 2020.
- All non-essential GPX employees will work from home through Dec 31, 2021. We will modify this date based on the conditions within the countries we operate, and to comply with Governmental policies in each country.
- GPX will be providing private transportation and hoteling options to its critical operations employees in order to minimize the use of public transportation.
- Datacenter Restricted Access Through Dec 31, 2021:
- We have suspended all elective work within our Datacenters and have restricted access to GPX critical operational employees, customers, and security and cleaning staff only.
- Effective immediately we request our Customers to restrict their data center access to critical activities only. We have expanded our Remote Hand Services to include racking and stacking, and server/hard drive replacement in conjunction with your NOC.
- All non-GPX persons requesting access to the GPX Datacenters must complete a health and safety self-declaration form prior to entrance providing details on travel within the last 14 days and stating that they or their family members do not currently have any symptoms associated with the Coronavirus. We will deny access to any individuals who have:
- traveled to a country on any restricted travel list in the last 14 days;
- have symptoms of the Coronavirus;
- or have family members who have symptoms associated with the Coronavirus.
- we will modify this policy based on Government policies in the countries we operate.
- GPX will take the temperature of each individual requesting access to our data centers including employees, vendors, and customers. Any individual with a temperature exceeding 37.5 Celcius / 99.5 Fahrenheit will not be allowed access to our data centers,
GPX will issue latex and non-latex gloves to every person entering our datacenters. These gloves must be worn at all times while in the data center (GPX employees will operate all biometric access points and sanitize them before and after each use).
We appreciate your business and thank you for your continued support.
*** WASH your hands well and often to avoid contamination
*** COVER your mouth and nose with a tissue or sleeve when coughing or sneezing and discard used tissue
*** AVOID touching eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands
*** CLEAN and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
*** DISTANCE yourself at least 2 meters (6 feet) away from other people, avoid close contact with others